Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Month of Horror

So I informally decided yesterday, while on the phone with Lucas, that this October I will go back to my roots. I grew up reading Stephen King, as his works were readily available. My mother read him voraciously, so much so that it is a famously ominous anecdote in my family that she was reading The Shining when she was pregnant with me. She also drank Dr. Pepper, just saying.
In any case, I read plenty from the Grandmaster of Horror. In high school I read:
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Four Seasons
Salem's Lot
All of the Dark Tower books
The Stand
The Shining
Four Minutes to Midnight
A few from the Night Shift
Listened to part of Dreamcatcher
and Cell
These I loved in addition to the many wonderful film adaptations. It was my gateway drug into horror, I think. From there I watched everything from Pet Sematary to Requiem For A Dream (if that scene with the electroshock therapy/sex party/prison isn't horror, my name is Mud).
And then for a while, I wandered off. I had forgotten my first love. I indulged in foreign films and classic novels.
So, I decided yesterday, after watching not only Let The Right One In but it's exact replica Let Me In, that I would make this October something to remember. I want to rekindle my lost love affair with the genre which originally got me righting. I want ghosts and monsters and vampires and vaginas with teeth in them(?)!
In the words of Mr. King
Let the dance begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment